Saturday, April 17, 2010

The adventure continues!

Been a bit longer than I wanted since I made an update here, never considered starting a blog would be adding another item on the never ending to-do list. Lot has changed since my first post a couple weeks ago. Garden is basically setup and going, of course bi-weekly watering and daily weeding but that's the fun part! This year the main bed contains;

  • 2 Types of Tomatoes , Celebrity and some type of "super" tomato that is supposed to fruit faster.
  • Green Bell Peppers
  • Cucumbers
  • 1 Jalapeno Plant
  • 1 Cantalope plant - I have a small garden and those plants take up tons of room
  • 1 Ichiban - Japanese Eggplant I am such an impulsive shopper

Made some significant changes with the pond area this year, incorporating some clover type plant (don't know the proper name) that produces small pink flowers over top a bed of 3 and 4 leaf clovers. This stuff is basically indestructible though, no matter how you cut into it, it will continue growing happily. My hope is that the massive clover cover will be enough to get the weeds under control while providing a nice touch of greenery to the pond area. A few Iris's were mixed in for splashes of color.

At the request of my family I am also setting up a secondary garden patch for carrots and onions. It is not finished yet but hopefully tomorrow will be another bright and sunny day so I can get the fresh top soil tilled in and the seeds planted.

Along with getting the front flower bed weeded and seeded for the season and moving a couple plants to the back yard that is about all for now. I do have some pictures taken but my printer is having an issue, and it has the memory card reader! Hopefully I will have that straightened out soon and will be able to put up some pictures though.

2 comments:

  1. You using clover as a ground cover? Good luck keeping it under control. kudos on the Ichiban!
    Want some eggshells for organic fertilizer? I can bring you bags of em from work almost daily if ya want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its a type of clover (wish I knew the proper name) but it has a massive bulb root system. Where all the bulbs grow on top of each other.

    ReplyDelete